by old Bollingtonians, the miners and quarrymen, as the
'top road', and as early as 1270 as 'le
Lane runs all along the west side of Kerridge Hill about
half way up the hill. The lane starts at the top of Redway,
by the cottages, by the very steep entry to Cheshire View,
and continues almost straight and level along the hill,
over Victoria bridge, past a short lane up to Turret Cottages
then to Five Ashes, and a short distance further to the
end on end junction with Kerridge Road at Marksend.
Approach from Redway, Rainow or Hurdsfield.
Leads to Cheshire View.
Nearest shops - Bollington, Hurdsfield.
Nearest pub - Bull's Head.
Council Ward - East.
View Larger Map / Street View | Google maps assistance
|We can see the effects of quarrying along the hillside,
large areas of extraction surrounded by huge numbers of sycamore
trees. Well at least they hide the worst of the industry!
Windmill Lane would once have been relatively open with glorious
views to the west, indeed, even as recently as the 1970s
it was possible to enjoy the views from several places along
the road. Nowadays, the tree growth ensures a shaded and
secretive road with just the occasional view through gaps
in the trees. Along the northern end of the lane there are
several ginnels which lead into the quarries. Only four quarries
are active today, Sycamore, Bridge and Five Ashes, and Marksend
in the Rainow section, with Five Ashes being used also for
are two major items of interest to see along the lane -
Clayton's tower and Victoria Bridge.
Victoria Bridge (left) crossed the inclined plane that marked the top of the 'Rally Road'. There were two tracks up the incline where trucks were hauled up empty and lowered down loaded with stone. A steam powered winding drum at the top provided the motive effort via cables. It is thought that there were tracks along some parts of the lane in order to bring stone from other quarries.
quarrying was only one of the industries along this lane.
Coal mining was another. The tower was built by William
Clayton and was thought to be a ventilation shaft for mines
under the hill. However, an internal investigation carried
out for the KRIV project (2009) has shown that it stands
on rock with no shaft below it. It is possible that it
might have been intended as a chimney top with a shaft
running up the side of the hill to join it but there is
no evidence of that. It could, of course, have been a folly
with an industrial angle to impress others - especially
the Gaskell family who lived on the other side of the hill
and built White Nancy!
Most coal extraction was on the other side of the hill and it is said that there was a tunnel right through the hill to bring coal to the west side, presumably so that it could be taken down to the Macclesfield Canal for delivery. Coal mining ceased here in the early 20thC due to flooding.
William Clayton was a very successful industrialist
who built both Endon House and Endon Hall, but is thought
have lived at either.
At the southern end of the lane is Five Ashes. Here is a group of cottages which mark the centre of a once very active location. Looking from the road, to the right of the cottages is a field with some serious earthworks in it. This was once an industrial site possibly for stone cutting and dressing.
To the left of the cottages there now stands a nice garden
with a new stone wall around it. The lawn marks the spot
windmill once stood.
The links are all to the Images of England web site provided by Historic England.
4, 6 & 8 Turret Cottages, Windmill Lane; II, Formerly two cottages and a smithy, now three cottages, c.1840 for William Clayton.
II, 19thC, part of William Clayton's coal mine [doubtful,
Kiln, Windmill Lane; II, Potash or lime kiln, probably late 18thC.
boundary stone; II, dividing two quarries on Kerridge Hill,
1830. Not publicly accessible.