One part of the long B5090 main road through Bollington, Wellington Road runs from its junction with Palmerston Street at Adlington Road to its junction with Henshall Road at Grimshaw Lane.
Approach from Palmerston Street or Henshall Road.
Leads to Adlington Road, Round
Gardens, Garden Street, Waterhouse
Road and Waterhouse Avenue, Irwell
Rise, Albert Road, Courier Row,
Stonemill Court, Grimshaw Lane.
Nearest shops - at two points in Wellington Road. Co-op
Nearest pub - Bayleaf, Dog & Partridge.
Council Ward - Central.
Pictured at its junction with Grimshaw Lane, this end of Wellington Road provides a selection of shops and services. A gateway between the buildings on the left leads to Courier Row (see below), a couple of delightful cottages with lovely gardens and a pond.
Wellington Road is crossed by the stone arches of the Macclesfield,
Bollington & Marple Railway, now converted into the Middlewood
Way. Along its length you will find the Town Hall (below),
the now closed Methodist
church, St Gregory's church, the new Waterhouse
Waterhouse mill once
stood, the Waterhouse itself and the Bollington Medical Centre,
Brook House - an important Bollington house recently restored,
Bollington Hall farmhouse - one of the oldest buildings in the
area (see below). Terry
Waite CBE was
born at 60 Wellington Road (opposite the Waterhouse).
Bollington Town Hall flying the town flag - White Nancy on a green background - on Wellington Road. Plans to move the town administration to a more suitable premises seem now to be in abayance.
Hall farmhouse is one of the oldest
buildings in the district; Historic England says 16thC origins,
the plaque says c.1365.
Right behind it used to stand Bollington corn
mill whose wheel was fed by a leat that brought water all
the way from near Bridgend in Palmerston Street. The mill
was demolished very many years ago and Riverbank Close was
built across the site in more recent times.
fine terrace of stone cottages, 97-107, by Albert Road.
On the 1862 map Wellington Road is marked as Wellington Lane, and that's what it was then, green fields and very few properties.
This is a private road, very short, with just a couple of properties. Older Bollington residents may be heard referring to it as 'down fout'. The meaning of this phrase has been lost with time although down probably means what it does today - as in 'going down the village'. But what a fout is we don't know. It is likely to be a dialect word and maybe a corruption of same. If you have any clues as to its origin and meaning please let me know! There is a reference to the Fout in Bollington Live!, edition 30, page 11, but alas no explanation of the name.
A small part of Wellington Road was once known as Knowle's Green
but the name has dropped out of use over the years. The area involved
covered at least the location of the Methodist
church, the Manse,
the Arts Centre and the railway viaduct (Middlewood
Way). It may
also have included the area on the opposite side of the road where
the Town Hall and St Gregory's
church stand today but we have no
specific evidence of this.
The links are all to the Images of England web site provided by Historic England.
Bollington Hall Farmhouse, 83 Wellington Road; II, 16thC origins.
Methodist Church, Wellington Road; II, 1886 by William Waddington of Manchester.
Buildings page for notes regarding SPD properties
(SPD) Railway viaduct; 1869, part of the Macclesfield, Bollington & Marple
railway, now the Middlewood Way.
(SPD) 55-63 Wellington Road; Mid 19th century Gothic terraced
(SPD) Brook House and Outbuilding, 53 Wellington Road; C.1860
handsome double-fronted Victorian house, stone with Stucco render.
(SPD) The Manse, 27 Wellington Road; stone Victorian vicarage.