short street with stone cottages on one side and the Owlhurst mill,
also known by other names, see below,
at the top end.
Approach off Church Street.
Leads to (pedestrians only) Turner Rise, Sowcar Way.
Nearest shops - Palmerston Street.
Nearest pubs - Church House, Crown.
Council Ward - East.
William Turner was a local landowner, living at Shrigley Hall,
who provided land to develop this part of Bollington. He gave the
land for the original St Gregory's Chapel and graveyard in adjacent Chapel
with the land for St John's church opposite the end of Turner Street
in Church Street. Perhaps he should have been honoured with more
than this short street and the Turner's Arms!
Bag Mill. Bag refers to flour bags. When milling ceased the building became Bannister's joinery workshop. That use ended with a fire. The building has been converted into apartments at the end of the 20thC.
When originally built the mill was known as The Owlhurst.
It was owned around 1836 by Edward
Sheldon. It has been suggested that the street was at
that time known as Owlhurst Street.
Conservation and Listing
This street is in the Bollington Conservation Area. Numbers 1-13
are subject to Article 4 Direction.
The link is to the Images of England web site provided by Historic England.
II, Formerly Whittaker's flour mill, originally The Owlhurst.