One of the prettiest streets in Bollington, the lower part of Queen Street (left) was once part of the main road through this end of town, before much of Palmerston Street was built.
Approach off Palmerston Street (at
either end of Queen Street or via Pool Bank car park), footway
connection with Hamson Drive.
Leads to Sheldon Place.
Nearest shops - Palmerston Street.
Nearest pubs - Spinners, The Turners, Cotton Tree, Church House.
Council Ward - Central.
the lower part of the street the stone cottages have survived.
In that part there is also a terrace of modern houses (left
in top picture) which replaced Ambrose Wood's metalwork factory.
Adjacent to this is Sheldon Place (left), a terrace of three
stone cottages at right angles to Queen Street. Named after
Stephen Sheldon, b.1777, who is thought to have built them.
To the left at this point is Beeston quarry, one of two
large (worked out) quarries in this part of the valley, the
other being behind Water Street.
the corner between the lower part of Queen Street and the
upper part, originally called Defiance Brow (more
on 'brows'), is Defiance
Mill which has been restored for domestic use. On the
same side all the way up to Palmerston Street there are two
terraces of modern cottages (picture below). These replaced
the back side of Oak
Bank mill which had been built in very
ugly concrete in the mid-20th century. Prior to that a Bobbin
mill (left, and where the cottages are in the
bottom picture) stood next to Defiance Mill (furthest building,
left and bottom).
logs to the Bobbin mill on Defiance Brow with a steam engine,
c.1930 (left). One of the men was Mr William Pimlott who
lived at 67 Palmerston Street and who died in 1940. His wife
was Edith, she died in 1959. Their daughter was Enid who
lived till 1998. Her son is John Bassett who kindly provided
this and other pictures.
Queen Street was refurbished in the 1990s and setts were used to surface the street - just part of the traditional finish. Except that Defiance Brow never did have setts; the historic picture (above) proves the point. This is an example of modern heritage and conservation of the never was.
Defiance Mill and the 1990s cottages with
setts in front of them.
Where did Queen Street go from the corner if Defiance Brow
was not the main route? Anthony Holland thinks that it may
have gone through where Oak Bank mill was later sited. In
those days the road to Pott
Shrigley was along Ingersley
Road. The country part of Shrigley
Road, known as Pott levels, was not built until
about 1830. There must have been a river crossing (probably
a ford) somewhere between Queen Street and Ingersley
Road. The bridge at the bottom of Shrigley Road today
was possibly built in the 1790s because there is a
house just up the hill called Newbridge House, which
was built in 1794.
At some point Oak Bank mill would have been located on both
sides of the road, the river having been put in a culvert
tunnel, but some time later the road would have become a
nuisance to the mill and ultimately closed to public passage
and integrated with the mill and then built over. Every edition
of the OS map from 1896 to 1948 clearly shows a road through
View Larger Map / Street View | Google maps assistance
Conservation and Listing
This street is in the Bollington Conservation Area. Numbers 2-14,
26-40, 25 and 27 are subject to Article 4 Direction.
The links are all to the Images of England web site provided by Historic England.
16, 18, 20 & 22 Queen Street;
II, Terrace of four cottages, 18thC.