This is a very mixed street with stone cottages
and pubs at either end, a couple of large 19thC town
houses, several stout 1930s semi-detached brick houses
in the middle, plus one 1960s brick bungalow and one
modern but very fitting stone cottage built into a
very tight corner.
A new development has been completed in late 2009,
known as Brookfield View (below left), which is five
2.5 story three bedroomed terraced units in natural
stone having fine views across the meadow into trees
on the far side of the valley.
Approach off the roundabout junction of Shrigley
Road, Palmerston Street and Church
Leads to Willow Bank Drive
and Foxglove Close, Brookfield View, Mill
Lane, Smithy Brow, Blaze
Hill, Spuley Lane and Oakenbank
Nearest shops - Palmerston
Nearest pubs - Poachers
Tree and The Turners in
the street; Church
House round the corner in Church
Indian restaurant in the street.
Council Ward - East.
||Around the turn of the 19th/20thC Ingersley Road was
known as Up Sowcar, pronounced Sooker. This refers
to Sowcar brook and meadow which runs alongside the road.
View Larger Map / Street View | Google maps assistance
More usually known today as Savio House, this name
having been provided by the Catholic Order that presently
occupies the property.
Ingersley was the country home and estate of the Gaskell
family. It was built by John Gaskell, a member
of a local farming family made good, about 1774, before
any of the major mills in the town.
Conservation and Listing
Conservation: Part of this street is in the Bollington Conservation
Area. Numbers 7-13 are subject to Article 4 Direction.
The links are all to the Images of England web site provided by Historic England.
stone, Ingersley Road;
II, in the wall opposite the Poachers Inn, early 19thC.
Parish boundary stone;
II, close to the barn at Sowcar Farm, c.early 19thC. Not publicly accessible.
II, early 17thC.
at Sowcar Farm;
II, Corn barn, late 17thC.
II, stone trough at the side of Sowcar Farm barn, dated 1692.