Leading up the hill towards the Macclesfield Canal, Hawthorn
Road, a cul de sac, contains a mixture of premises.
On the right at the bottom is the B&B Signs workshop,
followed by the Christian
Life church. Then comes Hawthorn Mews (left in picture)
followed by a new development of seven houses. On the left
are cottages and a modern bungalow. Opposite the Mews is
Waterhouse Avenue. The top 150m is a private road with two
detached houses and, across the Middlewood Way, there is
a row of early 20th century stone houses known as Alderley
View - and indeed they certainly have a good view. There
is pedestrian access to the Macclesfield
the top of the road.
Approach off Wellington Road.
Leads to Waterhouse Avenue, Alderley View.
Nearest shops - Wellington Road.
Nearest pubs - Bayleaf, Dog & Partridge.
Council Ward - Central.
Previously known as Glue Sheds Road. At Glue Sheds Farm
they used to boil down animal bones to make glue. This process
produces the most appalling smell so they can't have had
many friends! Around 1903 Mr A. Howe was a Joiner & Builder
with premises in Glue Sheds Road.
View Larger Map / Street View | Google maps assistance
The link is to the Images of England web site provided by Historic England.
Macclesfield Canal milestone;
II, located a few metres from the canal access, c.1830.