Grimshaw Lane runs from the junction of Henshall Road and Wellington Road up the hill to Kerridge, at Stakehouse End, the junction with Jackson Lane and Chancery Lane. The top 40m is in Kerridge.
Approach off Henshall Road, Wellington
Leads to Field Close, Clough Bank, Adelphi
Mill, Bailey Business Park, Pearson's Yard, Beechway, Cedarway, Greenfield Road, Bamford Close, Fairfield Avenue, Bishop Road, Hurst Lane, Chancery Lane. Footpath to Grimshaw Avenue.
Nearest shops - corner of Greenfield Road, Wellington Road.
Nearest pubs - Bayleaf, Bull's Head.
Council Ward - From Wellington Road to the canal aqueduct,
Central; above the canal aqueduct, East, except No.66 which
is in Central.
View Larger Map / Street View | Google maps assistance
Lane passes through the Middlewood
Way at its only road crossing without a bridge, then
under the Macclesfield
The road used to be two roads - the part below the canal
aqueduct was known as Commercial Road and that above the
aqueduct Greenshaw Lane; it is marked as such on the 1862
map but when and why this was changed I don't know. It
is possible that Greenshaw was simply a misunderstanding
on the part of the map draughtsman. I also have an early
20thC plan of Adelphi
Mill (below the canal) showing the
lower part as Greenshaw Lane.
the Middlewood Way and
the canal there are a number of commercial activities. Clough
Bank is a small industrial estate built
on the Macclesfield,
Bollington & Marple Railway goods
yard. The now demolished railway bridge over Grimshaw
Lane was exactly where the entrance to Clough Bank is today.
Opposite is the Middlewood Way and the location of Bollington
passenger railway station. The railway was closed in 1971.
Other industrial activities include Bailey Business Park
opposite Adelphi Mill (left). On the
uphill side of the canal is Bollington Wharf where various
boating activities take place and is also the mooring place
for the restaurant
boat White Nancy [YouTube
Bailey Business Park is the yard and industrial units opposite Adelphi Mill. Pearson's Yard is a further industrial area behind Bailey Business Park with access via the drive to the right of the business park.
Further up Grimshaw Lane is St
John's School and its playing field. This school was
built in 1963/4 when the old one in Church
Street was cleared for the Vine
Hollin Old Hall is close to the top of the road. The junction
with Hurst Lane was once known as Gatley Green, possibly
in recognition of the Gatley family who lived nearby and
quarried stone in Kerridge Hill. Alfred
Gatley was a notable sculptor in the 19th century.
A series of names along the route suggests that perhaps Scandinavian soldiers and settlers came this way. Grimshaw Lane may be derived from the Old Norse 'haugr', which can mean hill, with 'Grimr', a Scandinavian personal name - as Kenneth Cameron suggested for Grimshoe in Norfolk.
Extract from a history of Kerridge Hill and Ingersley Vale by George Longden for KRIV.
In view of the fact that the street had different names
in the 19thC it is possible that Grimshaw was named after
a member of the notable local family of that name living
until the early 20thC at Errwood Hall in the Goyt valley.
The junction with Chancery Lane and Jackson Lane is known as Stakehouse End. This name probably refers to there having been a stake or timber cattle enclosure there in earlier times. Grimshaw Lane is one of the original roads in the area and has a very long history.
The very top end, from its junction with Hurst Lane, is
Conservation and Listing
Conservation: Part of this street is in the
Kerridge Conservation Area. Numbers 85-105 are subject
to Article 4 Direction.
The external links are to the Images of
England web site provided by Historic England.
Rose Cottage, 58 Grimshaw Lane; II, Formerly a farmhouse now a house: 17thC with 19thC alterations.
Macclesfield Canal aqueduct over Grimshaw Lane; II, c.1830 by William Crosley, Engineer.
Adelphi Mill; II, Cotton mill, 1856, by the Swindells brothers,
Martin II and George, (not yet noted on Historic England web site).