Dyers Close

Know your street


home > street index > Dyers Close

 

Dyers CloseAn early 2000s development of a five story block of appartments (Dyers Court) together with a curved terrace of three story houses built by Linden Homes on the site of Higher Mills.

Approach off Ingersley Vale just by the end of Church Street.

Nearest shops - Palmerston Street.

Nearest pubs - Crown, The Turners, Church House.

Council Ward - East.


View Larger Map / Street View | Google maps assistance

Higher Mills

There were two mills at Higher Mills adjacent to a large mill pond. The pond was reduced by nearly half to increase the development area for the houses. Bollington's brewery, Heaver's, was located here in the older of the mills; it burnt down in 1931. In the mid 1920s a company called Radion's had part of the mill for repairing radio valves. Latterly Shrigley Dyers, 'We Live to Dye!', used the remaining premises until about 2000.

A fuller history of brewing at Higher Mills is available, also more on Radions.

The original late 18th century three storey block stood at the bottom of Lord Street, Bollington, on a roughly north-south axis, with the mill pool to the east. Part of the pool has been preserved. The original mill was 10 yards wide, and reached 36 yards in length (12 - 14 bays), though it may have been lengthened in stages. A taller and wider block, 12 yards wide, 30 yards long (10 bays), with four storeys was added close to the south end of the original buildings, extending westwards at a right angle to them, in the 1830s.

Extract from George Longden's Historical Study for the KRIV project.