There are a number of notable buildings in Bollington Road. The picture shows Bollington Cross School with the church beyond.
The distinguished physicist Sir
James Chadwick (1891-1974) was educated at the school.
Oswald's Church, built in 1908, and, since St John's closed
in 2003, the Bollington Parish Church.
the corner of Moss Brow is one of the most beautiful old
houses in Bollington, Orchard House. Other notable houses
along the street include Barley Grange, Heath House and The
Rookery (see below).
To mark the Millennium, a new cross was installed on the green at the junction of Kingsway and Bollington Road. This was created by Doreen Earl who took the stone from her Sycamore Quarry at Kerridge and cut it to shape on a computer controlled stone saw. The impression of the cross and the date, 2000, were cut by sand blasting.
The name Bollington Cross recognises the fact that there has previously been a cross in the village. Unfortunately, the location of this original cross is not known.
The Rookery is another fine house on Bollington Road, the last on the right going towards Macclesfield. It has been re-furbished and divided into six units in 2004-06.
The house was built and occupied by Philip
Antrobus who also built several of the original mills
in Bollington including Lowerhouse in
1818/19. In 1832 we believe The Rookery to have been occupied
by William Crosley, the engineer and builder of the Macclesfield
then being completed.
At that time, 1830s, the house was smaller, extending (see
picture below left) from the right side as far as the gutter
down pipe to the left of centre.
By 1851 Peter Brooke, Cotton Merchant, age 76, had retired
to the house, seemingly a widower having two servants to
Another notable house built on Bollington Road by Philip
Antrobus is Turner Heath House (opposite Princess
Antrobus also built a small mill beside the house. Other
well known occupiers of Turner Heath House include the Samuel
Greg and the Coope family.
The links are all to the Images of England web site provided by Historic England.
Orchard House, 7 Bollington Road;
II, Formerly a farmhouse, now house: early 17thC, with early 20thC
alterations to the facade.
St. Oswald's Church; II, Built 1908.
Barley Grange, 9 Bollington Road;
II, Formerly a farmhouse and farmbuilding now house: early 17thC
Cock & Pheasant
II, Formerly a house and cottages.
Stables at 101 Bollington Road;
II, Stables and coach house: c.1820.
Turner Health House, 103 Bollington Road; II, Early 18thC origins, rebuilt c.1780.
10 & 12
II, Formerly a doctor's house and surgery, now a house and shop.
50 & 52 Bollington Road; II, Pair of cottages, late 18thC/early 19thC.