Martin [Swindells] left Mr. Smith to go into partnership with Thomas Fernley of Stockport. The two partners would appear to have heard something of a cotton mill in a village called Bollington. They drove into the village by way of “Long Lane”, “Cat-ladder” & “Beeston” to see the Clough Mill.
An extract from information given to Emma F. Brooke by her Uncle George Swindells at his residence, Pott Hall, Shrigley in April 1885.
The hill side for about half a mile between Beeston Brow and Nab Lane is known as Beeston and has mostly been quarried for stone. The story suggests that what we today call Beeston Brow might then have been known as Cat Ladder. On the other hand there might not have been a road at Beeston Brow and they might have been using the original track which comes down Beeston Mount. Today one of the paths above Beeston Mount is stepped - maybe it was then - in which case this may have been the 'ladder'.
Conservation: This street is in the Bollington Conservation
Area. Numbers 2-22, 1 and 3, 19 and 21 are subject to Article