Martin [Swindells] left Mr. Smith to go into partnership with Thomas Fernley of Stockport. The two partners would appear to have heard something of a cotton mill in a village called Bollington. They drove into the village by way of 'Long Lane', 'Cat-ladder' & 'Beeston' to see the Clough Mill.
F Brooke's notes, 1885
An extract from information given to Emma F. Brooke by her Uncle George Swindells at his residence, Pott Hall, Shrigley in April 1885.
The hillside for about half a mile between Beeston Brow and
Nab Lane is known as Beeston and has mostly been quarried for
stone. The story suggests that what we today call Beeston Brow
might then have been known as Cat Ladder. This is confirmed on
the plan of the proposed Macclesfield Canal prepared in c.1824
which clearly shows Cat Ladder in the vicinity of Long Lane and
Beeston Brow, although it is not sufficiently specific to show
the exact course of the road.
Conservation and Listing
Conservation: This street is in the Bollington Conservation
Area. Numbers 7-13, 2-10 and Plant Cottage are all subject to
Article 4 Direction.
The links are all to the Images of England web site provided by Historic England.
1, 1A, 3, 5 and 5A Beeston Brow; II, Formerly 3 houses with weaving lofts above: early 19thC.