Road was constructed in the 19th century when Lowerhouse
to the point where Moss Brow was no longer
capable of handling the amount of traffic. Lowerhouse
mill needed a better road that
would provide more level access to other mills in Bollington. This
straight almost level road connecting Lowerhouse with
Wellington Road was the answer. It was paid for partly by public
subscription. A stone record of this can be seen in the wall in
front of the first building on the right past the junction with
Approach off Wellington Road.
Leads to Riverbank Close , Calder
Close, Hartley Green, Greg
Avenue, Moss Brow, Moss
Lane, Ridley Road, Woodlea
Drive, Lowerhouse Mill, CEC amenity centre.
Nearest shops - West Bollington.
Nearest pubs - Bayleaf, Cock & Pheasant.
Council Ward - From Wellington Road as far as the Fire Station,
Central; from the Fire Station to Lowerhouse, West.
There are proposals (2014) to develop industrial buildings and/or
housing on the land to each site of the road to the amenity centre.
View Larger Map / Street View | Google maps assistance
is a busy street with housing at both ends and two primary schools, Dean
Valley and St
the Scout Hut, the fire station and an industrial site along its
length. Work began in October 2006 to build a further industrial
site behind Lowerhouse Mil. However, this was abandonned and planning
applications were subsequently approved, despite much opposition,
to develop housing on both sides of the road to the waste collection
site. Building work began on the west side in 2017.
The memorial stone (left) records that the road was built in 1868 and that four fifths of the cost was raised by public subscription.
This old map shows Lowerhouse and Henshall Road, the main road from Bollington Cross to the rest of Bollington. Access to Lowerhouse is by Moss Brow - there is no Albert Road. Put your mouse over the image to see where Albert Road was later built.
The Civic Society have
been, for many years, pressing Cheshire
East Council to
make Lowerhouse into a Conservation
The links are all to the Images of England web site provided by Historic England.
Mill, Albert Road;
II, Cotton mill built by Philip
Antrobus, 1818, later occupied by Samuel
Lowerhouse Mill Cottage, Albert Road;
II, Formerly a farmhouse and barn, now 2 houses: 17thC. Not publicly
Parish boundary stone; II, in fields north of Lowerhouse Mill, early 19thC. Not publicly accessible.
Parish boundary stone; II, in fields northeast of Lowerhouse Mill, early 19thC. Not publicly accessible.