Adshead Court, Kerridge

Know your street


home > street index > Adshead Court
 
 

Through the arch

A modern development of the late 1990s, these seven properties were built in the farmyard of Adshead Farm, one of the oldest farms in the district. Although seemingly part of Bollington it is actually just on the Kerridge side of the boundary.

Approach off Lord Street or Chancery Lane via Cow Lane.

Nearest shops - Palmerston Street.

Nearest pubs - Crown.

Council Ward - East.

When a farmyard it belonged to Mr & Mrs Arthur Grindey.

If the house was built before 1644 (see below) then there would have been very few other buildings in the valley and the view would have been quite outstanding.

The cottage to the right of the house was, in the mid 19thC, occupied by the Chatterton family. James Shepley Chatterton was known as the Milestone King because he wrote a poem for publication every birthday. See the page devoted to the family.

The top piece of Lord Street in front of the farm was referred to as Adshead Barn Brow in the 1851 census.


View Larger Map / Street View | Google maps assistance

Adshead Court
Adshead Farm house with cottage to the right

Jane Laughton [the local historian] has pointed out that in 1611 [the] Adsheads [family] were operating Rainow Mill, then a corn mill, which had been leased to the family since 1549. She suggests that it was George Adshead, a farmer, dyer and carrier, who died in 1644, who built Adshead's Barn on an outlying part of his holdings.
George Longden 2002

Grindey family
Mrs Gladys Grindey died on 21 June 2007 aged 88. She and her husband Arthur had one daughter, Joan. They farmed Adshead Barn Farm, as it was known in earlier times, for very many years. They had a dairy herd and bottled their own milk. This was delivered to the local houses by Mr Grindey's sister with a small trolly designed to carry a single milk crate.

Extract from a history of Kerridge Hill and Ingersley Vale
by George Longden for KRIV.