Pott Shrigley may be full of history but it
is also a very beautiful hamlet nestled beneath a hillside wood,
Holme wood, at the junction of two valleys, looking south towards
Bollington with Kerridge hill in the near distance - a truly lovely
place to live today. It has a very small core made up of St
Christopher's Church, the school, and a few houses and cottages,
all within a large parish, with a very scattered community of farms
and cottages stretching from Higher Poynton, Adlington, up onto
Bakestonedale, and over to Rainow and Bollington on the south and
house with some history is Pott Hall (right and below),
located just along the road to Bollington. This is where
Martin Swindells I (1784-1834) came to live when he became
successful in the cotton industry in nearby Bollington.
His son George Swindells (1820-1897) took over the house
on his father's death.
At various times the house has been extended and includes
a courtyard surrounded by barns and outhouses. For some
years in the 1980s and 90s it was used as a care home for
the elderly. The house and all other buildings were then,
in the first decade of the 21stC, converted into housing
Hall is beautiful in the early summer when the rhododendrons
large Georgian house (right) stands in the centre of
the village with the church beside it and the school opposite.
Notable for its very fine windows.
Pott Shrigley Cricket Club have their club house and pitch
in what must rate as one of the most beautiful settings
for a game of cricket anywhere in the world. With a backdrop
of the wooded valley side hanging over it one can scarcely
imagine a more relaxing setting for an afternoon of the noble
Shrigley school (left) is one of the smallest in Cheshire
catering for the needs of the local children up to age
11. It is an extremely popular school, attracting support
from a wide area. For the sake of economy it is in a
Federation with St John's School in Bollington and shares
its head teacher and administration with St John's.
Christopher's Church (right) has been built up from one
of the oldest churches in Cheshire, originating from the
The only half timbered building in Pott Shrigley (left),
this house is accompanied by a beautiful garden with
Holme Wood providing the backdrop.
This house is right opposite the church and the school
with the road junction in front of it. Here you will
find the post box beside the village gas lamp which is
kept lit at all times to guide the late traveler!
Standing opposite the church, these cottages (right) provide
the main length of housing in the village.
short row of delightful cottages (left) have hardly changed
in 100 years - see the old picture
on the home page. They stand under Holme Wood looking
out across the cricket field towards Bollington and Kerridge
The largest house in the parish, with wonderful views
over the Cheshire plain, is the stately Shrigley Hall,
originally built in the 14thC by the Downes family, who
lived there for 500 years, and re-built on a grander
scale in the early 19thC by William Turner. In the 1950s
the estate was sold to the Salesians who used it for
Catholic education and then sold it for conversion into
an hotel in the 1980s. It remains, after several changes
of ownership, an hotel with a country club featuring
a fitness centre and a challenging golf course.
The valley that leads up from the village towards Shrigley
Hall is notable in spring for the fantastic mist of bluebells.
The picture (left) shows the view across the valley floor,
but there is an equally amazing display behind the camera
in Holme Wood.
This valley, together with today's cricket field and the
hillside behind it, once featured Pott Shrigley golf course.
This was abandoned in the early 20thC when the members
went off to establish Prestbury Golf Club - on easier ground