mills stood where Dyer's Close is today at the end of
Church Street off Ingersley
Vale, opposite the Crown
The original four story mill was built in 1789/90 by George
Antrobus and passed on his death in 1820 to his son Philip
Antrobus, who had
at that date just completed building Lowerhouse
mill. The second,
three story, mill on the site was built at right angles to the
first in 1830. By 1832 Philip Antrobus had died and the mill was
leased to Messrs Swindells and Oliver,
each of whom also had other mills in Bollington. On the 1871 map
these mills are shown as Upper mill.
The Swindells (Martin II and/or George) sold Higher mill in 1859,
just three years after they had completed the building of Adelphi
From about 1874, the three story mill became home to a large
brewery operated by Parrott & Horsfield (see Brewers
and Bottlers). In 1893, on the bankruptcy of Thomas Horsfield,
the brewery was taken over by Heaver Bros. In 1920 they converted
the mill to a bottling plant, but in 1931 this part of the mill
burnt down and the business was never resurrected.
The four story building was used for a variety of purposes over
the years including Neaves
hat factory, and, later, Radions
radio valve repairs.
By 1936 the entire site was taken over by Shrigley Dyers,
for bleaching and dyeing, and they continued there until the late
1990s, when they moved to Leek and the site was sold to Linden
Homes who redeveloped it with domestic housing and named it Dyer's
In 1925 there was a serious spillage of Mercury in the mill and
this heavy liquid metal, used by Radions, found its way into the
cracks in the timber and stone floors and was the source of great
amusement. Today we know how poisonous Mercury is and would treat
it as a dangerous contaminant.
This is the only mill in Bollington to which is attached a story
of a ghost! It is thought that someone got walled up in a small
space and later appeared to walk through the wall and up and down
The mill pond was in Ingersley
Vale immediately adjacent to the mills. When the
housing was developed, about half the pond was stanked off and
the space included in the housing scheme. See the page on mill ponds.
There have been several attempts in 2016 to sell the remaining
pond. However, lack of access and only very little ground around
it has made it difficult to sell.
My thanks go to those who researched and discovered the history
that is presented in these pages. Please
read the full acknowledgement of their remarkable achievement.
Your Historic Documents
Please don't chuck out those historic documents and pictures! Find
out why here.